¾ C All-vegetable shortening,
1 C Firmly packed light brown sugar
1 Large egg, lightly beaten
¼ C Molasses
2 Tbs Northern Roots Ginger Liqueur
2 ½ C All purpose flour
2 ¼ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. salt
Granulated sugar and Northern Roots Ginger Liqueur for dipping
1. Combine shortening and brown sugar and beat at medium speed until well blended. Add egg, molasses, and ginger liqueur; beat until light and fluffy.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a mixing bowl and mix. Gradually beat into the shortening mixture at a low speed until well blended. (If baking in warm and/or humid weather, refrigerate 3 hours before baking.)
3. Heat oven to 350°. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Dip one side into small bowl of ginger liqueur, then roll the wet side in a bowl of granulated sugar. Place sugar side up on ungreased or parchment covered cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
4. Bake 12 minutes. Cool on rack.
5. Enjoy while sipping chilled Northern Roots Ginger Liqueur!
Recipe by Lynnie Latitudes