Ingredients for pie:
2 pounds sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
3 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons Latitudes Straight Bourbon Whiskey (or Deer Camp Straight Bourbon Whiskey)
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 pie crust - either homemade or purchased
Ingredients for Pecan Topping:
1/4 cup of unsalted butter softened at room temperature
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Cut several slits in each. Place potatoes in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Cook on high in microwave for 14 minutes, turning half way through. They should be fork tender. Allow sweet potatoes to cool until they can be handled.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together pecan topping ingredients. Set aside.
4. Cut each cooked sweet potato in half and scoop out the flesh, discarding the skins. Add butter to potatoes and mash with a fork. It's okay to have some small lumps.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yolks, sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Then add Latitudes Bourbon, molasses, vanilla, milk and brown sugar. Gradually stir the egg mixture into sweet potatoes until well blended.
6. Gently press pie crust into 9-inch pie plate. Pour sweet potato mixture into pie shell. Carefully sprinkle a bit of pecan mixture at a time over filling, allowing it to rest on top. Bake the pie for approximately 40-50 minutes or until center of pie is set.
7. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired, as well a pour of Latitudes Straight Bourbon Whiskey to sip!