Bourbon Balls from the Kitchen of Lynnie Latitudes (updated May 2022)
SERVINGS 125-150, TIME: over 2-day or 3-day period
64 oz powdered sugar (plus more for adding as needed to achieve right consistency)
1 cup Latitudes or Deer Camp Straight Bourbon Whiskey (plus more for soaking pecans, also for sipping!)
1/2 lb butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 – 10 oz bag pecan halves
32 oz semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbs shortening
1. Put pecans in a container or bowl, cover with bourbon. Cover and soak 12 hours. Then drain and allow nuts to dry.
2. After starting pecans to soak, stir together first 3 ingredients until blended to make ball filling. If it is sticky to touch, gradually add in more powdered sugar until it can easily be handled. Cover and chill or go immediately to step 3.
3. Shape filling mixture into ¾ inch balls (careful not to make too big, chocolate will add volume). Put balls on sheet pans covered with parchment or wax paper and pop in freezer for 1 to 2 hours. Then go to stet 4 or put frozen balls in freezer bags and freeze until ready to do chocolate step. They can be frozen for several days.
4. Melt chocolate and shortening over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let sit 20 min.
5. Insert toothpick in bottom of ball and dip in chocolate. Note: Chocolate need not cover the bottom of the ball. Flip ball and use fork to remove toothpick, placing it beneath the ball, and slide ball onto parchment or wax paper covered sheet. Add bourbon-soaked pecan half to top of ball before chocolate sets.
6. Chill at least 2 hours or freeze at least 30 min. Then place each bourbon ball in a paper holder. Serve with NLD Bourbon, Mint Julep, or other favorite bourbon drink. Balls can then be layered with parchment between layers in a sealable container and returned to fridge or freezer until ready to serve.