Bourbon Balls from the Kitchen of Lynnie Latitudes
SERVINGS 125-150, TIME: over 3-day period
80 oz (2 – 32 oz + 1 -16 oz pkgs) powdered sugar
1 bottle Latitudes or Deer Camp Straight Bourbon Whiskey (plus more for soaking pecans, also for sipping!)
1 ¼ cup butter, softened
1 – 12oz bag pecan halves
5 – 12oz pkgs semisweet chocolate chips
5 Tbs shortening
1. Stir together first 3 ingredients until blended to make ball filling. Cover and chill 8 hours.
2. Put pecans in a container or bowl, cover with bourbon. Cover and soak 12 hours. Then drain and allow nuts to dry.
3. Shape chilled filling mixture into ¾ inch balls (careful not to make too big, chocolate will add volume). Put balls on sheets and chill 8 hours. Note: The mixture can get difficult to work with. I found greasing hands well with butter and keeping the mixture as cold as possible helps, as does sipping bourbon.
4. Melt chocolate and shortening over medium heat, remove from heat and let sit 20-25 min.
5. Insert toothpick in bottom of ball and dip in chocolate. Note: Chocolate need not cover the bottom of the ball. Flip ball and use fork to remove toothpick, placing it beneath the ball, and slide ball onto parchment covered sheet. Add bourbon-soaked pecan half to top of ball before chocolate sets.
6. Chill at least 2 hours or freeze. Then place each bourbon ball in a paper holder. Balls can then be layered with parchment between layers in a sealable container and returned to fridge or freezer until ready to serve.