Ingredients for walnut crumble topping:
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
4 tablespoons softened butter
Ingredients for pie filling:
5 cups sliced, peeled ripe pears (We used a variety of pears.)
1/4 cup of Bernie's Brandy
1/2 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons softened butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Gently press pie crust (purchased or homemade) into pie plate. Set aside.
2. Put raisins with enough Bernie's Brandy to cover in a small bowl. Allow to stand at room temperature until most of the liquid is absorbed and fruit is plump. Do not drain.
3. Mix in medium bowl all ingredients except butter for walnut crumb topping. Mix in butter with fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
4. In medium bowl, add pears and sprinkle with Bernie's Brandy to prevent discoloring. Do not drain. In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Gently fold the flour mixture into the pears.
5. Add raisins (including any liquid) to pears. Put pear and raisin mixture into pie crust. Dot with butter.
6. Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
7. Remove foil from pie; cover with walnut crumb topping. Reduce heat to 375°F.
8. Bake pie another 15-20 minutes until topping is crisp and golden brown.
9. Cool pie on wire rack. Serve after cooled to room temperature. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired. Enjoy with a snifter of Bernie's Brandy!